Pennsylvania Council of Trout Unlimited

Leadership Directory


Download directory (pdf file)

Calendar

Custom TU License Plate



Want to show others that you're a proud member of PATU and support the mission of Trout Unlimited? Learn More »

Announcements, News and Notes


Applications for 2020 CHP grants now being accepted through January 17.

Nov 24, 2019
Grants will be awarded to develop a Coldwater Conservation Plan or implement projects recommended in an existing Coldwater Conservation Plan (or similar document) in order to protect

Grants will be awarded to develop a Coldwater Conservation Plan or implement projects recommended in an existing Coldwater Conservation Plan (or similar document) in order to protect Pennsylvania’s coldwater streams. Grants of up to $5000 will be awarded toward planning projects, while up to $8000 will be awarded toward implementation projects.

Eligible Applicants

Eligible applicants include the following: 501(c)3 non-profit organizations, conservation districts, counties, and municipalities. Organizations which do not have non-profit status in Pennsylvania must identify a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that will administer the finances for the grant (a pass-through organization). Grantees or their pass-through agent must provide proof of 501(c)3 status AND be registered with the Pennsylvania Bureau of Charitable Organizations.

Program Funding Priorities
Proposals that meet the following criteria will be given priority:
a) Project will occur in a watershed that contains streams with naturally reproducing trout populations. The list of streams containing naturally reproducing trout can be found at: https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Trout/Documents/trout_repro.pdfClass A listings can be found at https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/Trout/Documents/classa.pdf.

b) Project will occur in a watershed listed as special protection waters within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s Chapter 93 or have the potential to be upgraded. This information can be found at: http://www.pacodeandbulletin.gov/Display/pacode?file=/secure/pacode/data/025/chapter93/chap93toc.html&d=

c) Streams and other water bodies in the project area are generally open to the public for recreational activities including angling;

d) Project demonstrates significant partnerships, volunteer involvement, and promotes opportunities for citizen science and engagement;

e) Local watershed organizations, TU chapters, county conservation districts or academic institutions take the leading role in project implementation; and

f) Proposed project demonstrates benefits to coldwater fish species as well as to the local community’s economic, recreational, and aesthetic characteristics or objectives.

Eligible Use of Funds & Required Match
CHP grants may be used to pay for labor costs, equipment, materials, meetings, engineering, construction activities and other services. Maximum amount of funding per grant request is $5000 for planning projects and $8000 for implementation projects. The proposed project must be completed along with the final report and budgetary information within 18 months of the grant award.

Preference will be given to applications that show a match of either cash or in-kind contributions such as volunteer time, donated services, or other donated items. (50:50 match is encouraged.) Successful applicants will be awarded 90% of the grant when a contract has been fully executed. The remaining 10% will be awarded upon completion of the project and the approval of the final report and budgetary information by a CHP representative.   

Note: All proposals must be received or postmarked by January 17, 2020.

Questions regarding this application can be directed to: Coldwater Heritage Partnership, c/o Rachel Kester, Program Director, 595 E. Rolling Ridge Drive, Bellefonte, PA 16823, by phone to 814-359-5233, or email: c-rkester@pa.gov